Creative Problem Solving
Explore how to make decisions and solve problems. Put problem solving skills to the test and learn to innovate
Embrace new challenges
Half term course, 5 days from 5-6pm for 11.13 year olds
The course develops your child’s ability to apply their problem solving skills to a range of situations. Learning how to think creatively can help them feel confident and increase their readiness to embrace new challenges. Each online session starts and ends with some energiser games making it easy for your child to focus for the full 60 minutes.
The course is most suitable for children with high functioning autism or other disabilities who are able to engage with a trainer online. They will need to be able to use a laptop (under supervision if necessary) and to be willing to take part in a range of activities.
All courses are taking place at home using zoom
It is strongly encouraged that children should attend all sessions.
The course is made up of 5 x 60 minute online sessions.
The course is free of charge but donations are welcomed.
There are places for 9 children on each course.
The course will be delivered by a Role Model who has experience as a teacher, including with children with additional needs, but more importantly is a coach who specialises in encouraging and motivating children.
Other notes on the online course:
- Your child will need a quiet space for the sessions and a computer/laptop/iPad with internet connection so that they can use zoom
- The sessions will be interactive so they will need to be seen (using the computer camera/webcam) and heard (using the computer microphone or headset)
- They will need a pen/pencil and paper during the sessions
- It's important the children are relaxed and comfortable; please do help them get set up for the first session and be on hand for any technical difficulties
- Following that, we find these sessions work best when the children are given the independence to complete them alone rather than having other people watching in the same room. However we ask parents to stay nearby and within earshot
- The content of the sessions will include discussion, games, watching videos and sharing thoughts and ideas with the group. The children will at times be encouraged to type using the keyboard and to answer verbally
How should I explain this course to my child?
"Do you ever have negative or unhelpful thoughts? You will find out how to deal with these and how to listen in to much more empowering thoughts instead. You will learn how to deal with any type of challenge.
You will be on a video call (like Skype or FaceTime) led by your Role Model and around 8 other children your age.
You can wear comfortable clothes and have a drink nearby in case you need it.
It will be a fun session of games, talking, watching some videos and thinking together with the group
We would love you to tell us your ideas and feelings during the sessions so taking and participating is definitely encouraged! But if there's anything you don't want to do, you can just sit and listen.
We can't wait to meet you and learn some awesome new skills together!"