We are pleased to offer an Online Life Skills Course in Leadership in partnership with Role Models. This course is for children with additional needs aged 8 - 11.
Leadership skills will help your child to stand up and be heard. Our leadership offerings focus on developing emotional intelligence and communication skills – allowing your child to build their confidence and showcase their natural personality.
Leadership is understanding, supporting and motivating others to achieve
We want your child to be the best version of themselves and, in turn, have a positive impact on others. Our courses consist of activities that nurture their natural abilities whilst inviting them to uncover different ways that they can collaborate with and lead others. We help your child to consider how their own personality and their connection with others can help them become a great leader.
We explore leadership through a number of fun and education-based activities.
Our course curriculum is based on a well-established educational framework that has been developed by teachers, education experts, and business leaders. It involves fun play-based activities that centre on key leadership principles.
The course is most suitable for children and young people with high functioning autism or other disabilities who are able to engage with a trainer online. They will need to be able to use a laptop (under supervision if necessary) and to be willing to take part in a range of activities.
All courses are taking place at home using Zoom
It is strongly encouraged that children should attend all sessions.
The course is made up of 5 x 60 minute online sessions.
The course is free of charge but donations are welcomed.
There are places for 6 young people on each course.
She is supervised by Louise, the SEND and safeguarding lead at Role Models. All sessions are recorded for safeguarding purposes and then deleted later.
Other notes on the online course:
- Your child will need a quiet space for the sessions and a computer/laptop/ipad with internet connection so that they can use Zoom
- The sessions will be interactive so they will need to be seen (using the computer camera/webcam) and heard (using the computer microphone or headset)
- They will need a pen/pencil and paper during the sessions
- It’s important the children are relaxed and comfortable; please do help them get set up for the first session and be on hand for any technical difficulties.
- Following that, we find these sessions work best when the children are given the independence to complete them alone rather than having other people watching in the same room. However we ask parents to stay nearby and within earshot.
- The content of the sessions will include discussion, games, watching videos, and sharing thoughts and ideas with the group. The children will at times be encouraged to type using the keyboard and to answer verbally.
How should I explain this course to my child?
“Do you ever have negative or unhelpful thoughts? You will find out how to deal with these and how to listen in to much more empowering thoughts instead. You will learn how to deal with any type of challenge.
You will be on a video call (like Skype or Facetime) led by your Role Model and around 5 other children your age
You can wear comfortable clothes and have a drink nearby in case you need it
It will be a fun session of games, talking, watching some videos and thinking together with the group
We would love you tell us your ideas and feelings during the session, so talking and participating is definitely encouraged! But if there’s anything you don’t want to do, you can just sit and listen
We can’t wait to meet you and learn some awesome new skills together!”
Parents will need to tick to say that they agree to the following statements:
- I understand that I must be present in the room with my child during all Skylarks live online sessions
- I understand that my child/ren must be fully dressed during all Skylarks live online sessions
- I understand that I must not record, photograph or video any Skylarks live online sessions
- I understand that I must not share any Zoom passwords
- I will report any safeguarding issues to Skylarks staff or to the appropriate authorities
You will need to book this course in the usual way via the Skylarks website. Your place will then be confirmed back to you.
You will then be asked to complete a form on the Role Models website and to agree with their safeguarding policy.
You will then be asked to checkout on the Role Models website, using a coupon code so that you are not charged. This is so your details are entered onto their system and you can agree with their safeguarding policy.
You are then invited to make a donation for this course. A place usually costs £125, but Skylarks will be paying this, but a donation towards the cost is appreciated.