We are pleased to offer an Online Life Skills Course in partnership with Role Models. This course is for our younger children, with additional needs, aged 5 - 7 years. It is expected the children will be in Year 2.
The course will take place on Thursday evenings from 5 - 6pm using Zoom from Thursday 9th June - Thursday July 7th.
The course is most suitable for children with high functioning autism or other disabilities who are able to engage with a trainer online. They will need to be able to use a laptop (under supervision if necessary) and to be willing to take part in a range of activities.
All courses are taking place at home using Zoom
Brilliant Me & My Mind is specifically designed to help your child:
- Move away from perfectionism
- Learn to take risks and try new experiences
- Let go of fearing mistakes and failure
- Believe in their own capabilities
- Learn to think positively when faced with a challenge
- Move from ‘I can’t’ to ‘I can’t YET’
It is strongly encouraged that children should attend all sessions.
The course is made up of 5 x 60 minute online sessions.
The course is free of charge but donations are welcomed.
There are places for 9 children on each course.
The course will be delivered by a Role Model coach who specialises in encouraging and motivating children.
This course will be delivered by Isabella. Here is some information about her you can share with your child.
Once you have booked with Skylarks, you will be sent a link to register with Role Models. You must do this for your child to attend the course. This will also enable you to receive course materials after each session.
The course uses the power of storytelling and creative activities to help children believe in themselves. Each online session is broken down into sections making it easy for your child to focus for the full 60 minutes.
Other notes on the online course:
- Your child will need a quiet space for the sessions and a computer/laptop/ipad with internet connection so that they can use Zoom
- The sessions will be interactive so they will need to be seen (using the computer camera/webcam) and heard (using the computer microphone or headset)
- They will need a pen/pencil and paper during the sessions
- It’s important the children are relaxed and comfortable; please do help them get set up for the first session and be on hand for any technical difficulties.
- Following that, we find these sessions work best when the children are given the independence to complete them alone rather than having other people watching in the same room. However we ask parents to stay nearby and within earshot.
- The content of the sessions will include discussion, games, watching videos, and sharing thoughts and ideas with the group. The children will at times be encouraged to type using the keyboard and to answer verbally.
Parents will need to tick to say that they agree to the following statements:
- I understand that I must be present in the room with my child during all Skylarks live online sessions
- I understand that my child/ren must be fully dressed during all Skylarks live online sessions
- I understand that I must not record, photograph or video any Skylarks live online sessions
- I understand that I must not share any Zoom passwords
- I will report any safeguarding issues to Skylarks staff or to the appropriate authorities
- I agree with Skylarks' data protection policy https://www.skylarks.charity/page/data-protection
- I understand and agree to Skylarks passing on necessary personal details to the third party provider of this course
You will need to book this course in the usual way via the Skylarks website. Your place will then be confirmed back to you.
You will then be asked to complete a form on the Role Models website to register for your place and to agree with their safeguarding policy. Please note: it is imperative that you complete the registration process with Role Models before your child starts the course.