We are pleased to offer an Online Life Skills Course in Resilience in partnership with Role Models. This course is for children with additional needs, aged 8 - 10
The course is most suitable for children with high functioning autism or other disabilities who are able to engage with a trainer online. They will need to be able to use a laptop (under supervision if necessary) and to be willing to take part in a range of activities.
It is strongly encouraged that children should attend all sessions.
The course is made up of 5 x 60 minute online sessions.
The course is free of charge but donations are welcomed.
There are places for 9 children on each course.
The course will be delivered by Role Model Amy
The Resilience Course is designed to help your child:
- learn how to face challenges & handle mistakes
- let go of unhelpful, negative thoughts
- develop a willingness to try new things & take risks
- move away from fear of failure & perfectionism
Dealing with Unhelpful Thoughts
Thu 09.06.22 @ 5:00 pm
We all have negative thoughts that pop into our head. They are often unhelpful and not even true. Learn about the 5 thinking traps we often fall into and what you can do about it when it happens.
Mindfulness & Gratitude
Thu 16.06.22 @ 5:00 pm
Explore the positive impact gratitude can have on our everyday outlook and how being more mindful can help us connect with our thoughts and feelings more successfully. Practical exercises for you to use in your everyday schedule.
Worries & Anxiety
Thu 23.06.22 @ 5:00 pm
Learn how to manage your worries so they don’t hijack your day. Strategies to help you feel more in control of when and what you worry about.
Thu 30.06.22 @ 5:00 pm
What does resilience look like when I’m with my friends or family? Learn how to respond to social situations with resilience and explore strategies to help you remember this approach in the moment.
Keeping Your Mind Healthy
Thu 07.07.22 @ 5:00 pm
We know the benefits and importance of keeping our bodies healthy. How can we make sure we keep our mind healthy? Explore actions we can take including sleep, diet, and connection with others
Other notes on the online course:
- Your child will need a quiet space for the sessions and a computer/laptop/ipad with internet connection so that they can use Zoom
- The sessions will be interactive so they will need to be seen (using the computer camera/webcam) and heard (using the computer microphone or headset)
- They will need a pen/pencil and paper during the sessions
- It’s important the children are relaxed and comfortable; please do help them get set up for the first session and be on hand for any technical difficulties.
- Following that, we find these sessions work best when the children are given the independence to complete them alone rather than having other people watching in the same room. However we ask parents to stay nearby and within earshot.
- The content of the sessions will include discussion, games, watching videos, and sharing thoughts and ideas with the group. The children will at times be encouraged to type using the keyboard and to answer verbally.
Parents will need to tick to say that they agree to the following statements:
- I understand that I must be present in the room with my child during all Skylarks live online sessions
- I understand that my child/ren must be fully dressed during all Skylarks live online sessions
- I understand that I must not record, photograph or video any Skylarks live online sessions
- I understand that I must not share any Zoom passwords
- I will report any safeguarding issues to Skylarks staff or to the appropriate authorities
- I understand and agree to Skylarks passing on necessary personal details to the third party provider of this course
- I agree with Skylarks' data protection policy https://www.skylarks.charity/page/data-protection
You can read more details about this course on the Role Models website here:
You will need to book this course in the usual way via the Skylarks website. Your place will then be confirmed back to you.
You will then be asked to complete a form on the Role Models website to register your place with them and to agree with their safeguarding policy.