PARENT / CARER GUIDELINES
WELCOME TO SKYLARKS
We offer opportunities for children to play in a welcoming environment and provide information, advice & support for families.
Our sessions are open:
- Tuesdays 2.30pm – 5.30pm
- Fridays 9.30am – 12 noon
- Online activities also available
- Closed Facebook group available at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Skylarksparents/
GUIDELINES FOR SKYLARKS FAMILIES
- Our staff and volunteers are trained in Fire Drill and several are trained in Paediatric First Aid. Skylarks is covered by public liability insurance.
- Please be aware that we take photographs of children to be used anonymously in our newsletters and social media. You will be asked to consent or not when you register with us. Please let us know if you do not wish your child to be photographed.
- Our sessions can be busy with lots of parents needing to discuss issues they are experiencing. We will maintain confidentiality but need parents to be aware that might be overheard.
- We will deal with any complaints as quickly as possible. Please raise any issues with the Operations Team or any staff member or contact the Chair of Trustees.
- We take safeguarding and child protection seriously. Please be aware of our Safeguarding policy.
WHAT WE EXPECT FROM YOU
- Please book all activities in advance.
- The responsibility for the safety and discipline of your child remains with YOU, the parent or carer. You should make sure you know where your children are and that they do not leave the building.
- Please shut all doors and gates behind you. All exit doors in the building are fire doors, so are able to be opened easily.
- Please do not let your child go in the garden unless they are accompanied by a specific responsible adult.
- If you wish to leave the room, you must ask another adult to supervise your child or take your child with you
- If you wish to attend talks, workshops or advice surgeries, please book crèche places in advance through the website or by email, as places are limited.
- We ask that you participate fully with your child during the sit- down activities in order to help him/her concentrate and enjoy the activity as much as possible.
- Hot drinks should be placed out of the reach of children at all times.
- Please do not bring any products containing nuts or sesame (no hummus) or any sweets or lollies on a stick, into the building.
- Please do not bring your child if they are ill or have a contagious disease, as some of our children have compromised immune systems. If they are not well enough for school, they are not well enough for Skylarks!
- Please do not come if you have Covid, or if any family member you live with has any symptoms of Coronavirus. Some of our members are vulnerable and are still wearing masks. We are still encouraging our staff and volunteers to take regular lateral flow tests before they come. Please help us to keep everyone well.
- We will remind you of any appointments for therapies or advice clinics in advance. If you are unable to attend, please inform us in sufficient time so that we can offer the slot to someone else.
- We ask that all users should respect our values.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US
- All our staff and volunteers have DBS checks. They are trained in our policies of equal opportunities, confidentiality, health & safety and child protection and receive training in issues concerning children with additional needs. The volunteers will play with your children and support you to supervise them during our activities
- Parking: Please note that there is NO parking available at the Crossway Centre. Please use Marble Hill Car Park or surrounding streets.
- To receive our newsletter and become a voting member of Skylarks, please visit our website at www.skylarks.charity/register
- We hope that your child enjoys having fun with us and that you will find some much-needed support. We welcome any suggestions to help us to expand or improve our services so please talk to us.
- We are sometimes able to offer creche facilities on a Friday morning while you attend a meeting or appointment on-site. Please arrange this in advance. This will depend on the number of volunteers available.
- One volunteer will be allocated by a member of Skylarks staff to look after your child. In the event of a fire alarm, the volunteer will take your child outside to the assembly point.
- Volunteers will not administer any medication or food. They will not change nappies or take children to the toilet, but will inform you if this is necessary.
- If a child is upset and cannot be comforted, the volunteer will bring the child to you.
- Volunteers will raise any problems with supervisors.
- We seek to be an open and inclusive organisation, promoting diversity and equality.
- We support and welcome parents and families from all communities and believe they should be treated with equal worth regardless of disability, gender, ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation or social class.
Our activities are free of charge but donations are appreciated. We do not want anyone to be excluded from our services, so bursary places are always available.
Suggested donations for each activity:
play session £3
hair cut £6 - £10
single activity £6 - £10
course £20 - £40
Donations can be made by contactless card reader at the session or via our website here. We prefer not to accept cash.
Anyone who feels able is encouraged to give monthly. Regular giving helps us plan our finances. You can set up a Direct Debit here.
We also take part in the Big Give regularly. This fundraising campaign offers matched funding, so whatever you donate will be doubled. If you are thinking of making a one-off donation, please look out for our Big Gives dates in our newsletters and on social media. Thank you for your support.
The Crossway Centre
306 Richmond Road, Twickenham TW1 2PD.
You can find us at our main venue which is: The Crossway Centre, Richmond Road, Twickenham TW1 2PD. The Crossway Centre is a modern building just behind St Stephens Church, very near Marble Hill Park, on the road that goes from Richmond to Twickenham.
There is a pay and display car park at Marble Hill Park (currently £2.50 for up to 2 hours and £3.50 for up to 3 hours or free for English Heritage members and Blue Badge holders). It is usually open till dusk. For sat nav users - the postcode for the car park is TW1 2NL). There is also free on street parking in nearby roads after 4.30pm or with a Blue Badge on single yellow lines at any time. You can also use a Richmond parking voucher to pay for parking by phone until 4.30pm. We regret we cannot offer parking on site.
Bus numbers 33, 490, H22, R70 and R68 stop just outside the church at the stop called St Stephens Church. The bus numbers H37 and 110 stop just round the corner from the Crossway Centre at a stop called Poplar Court.