We are pleased to offer an Online Life Skills Course in partnership with Role Models. This course is for our younger children, with additional needs, aged 6 and 7 years. It is expected the children will be in Year 2. Please note we cannot take children younger than 6 years old.
The course will take place on Wednesday afternoons from 13th January 2021 to 10th February 2021 from 4.30pm to 5.30pm by Zoom.
The course is most suitable for children with high functioning autism or other disabilities who are able to engage with a trainer online. They will need to be able to use a laptop (under supervision if necessary) and to be willing to take part in a range of activities.
All courses are taking place at home using Zoom
It is strongly encouraged that children should attend all sessions.
The course is made up of 5 x 60 minute online sessions.
The course is free of charge but donations are welcomed.
There are places for 6 children on each course.
The course will be delivered by a Role Model who has experience as a teacher, including with children with additional needs, but more importantly is a coach who specialises in encouraging and motivating children.
This course will be delivered by Amy:
Once you have booked with Skylarks, you will be sent a link to register with Role Models. You must do this for your child to attend the course. This will also enable you to receive course materials after each session.
The course for younger children is called Brilliant Me and My Mind.
CREATING A POSITIVE MINDSET
Children’s reactions to situations often stem from what they’re thinking. Knowing how your mind can work for you, rather than against you, is a powerful approach to learning and life in general. Perfectionism can set in from a very young age and often stems from a fear of mistakes and judgement of others. Our Brilliant Me and My Mind Course uses the power of story to help children explore how to see things and think differently about them. What a revelation to find out that we are supposed to find new things hard and that the mistakes we make actually help us learn!
Each online Brilliant Me Course includes access to additional exciting activities for your child to do independently at any point during their day/week. Each of these is designed to be a fun distraction from what is going on around them. These activity sheets will be emailed to you along with a summary of the content shared during the online session each day. At the end of the week you will also be sent three follow up videos to help embed your child’s learning. Please watch these with your child in your own time and discuss the themes. These videos can be re-watched at any time to help revisit the learning and continue to develop your child’s confidence.
LETTING GO OF FEARING MISTAKES
Brilliant Me & My Mind is specifically designed to help your child:
- Move away from perfectionism
- Learn to take risks and try new experiences
- Let go of fearing mistakes and failure
- Believe in their own capabilities
- Learn to think positively when faced with a challenge
- Move from ‘I can’t’ to ‘I can’t YET’
Other notes on the online course:
- Your child will need a quiet space for the sessions and a computer/laptop/ipad with internet connection so that they can use Zoom
- The sessions will be interactive so they will need to be seen (using the computer camera/webcam) and heard (using the computer microphone or headset)
- They will need a pen/pencil and paper during the sessions
- It’s important the children are relaxed and comfortable; please do help them get set up for the first session and be on hand for any technical difficulties.
- Following that, we find these sessions work best when the children are given the independence to complete them alone rather than having other people watching in the same room. However we ask parents to stay nearby and within earshot.
- The content of the sessions will include discussion, games, watching videos, and sharing thoughts and ideas with the group. The children will at times be encouraged to type using the keyboard and to answer verbally.
How should I explain this course to my child?
“Do you ever have negative or unhelpful thoughts? You will find out how to deal with these and how to listen in to much more empowering thoughts instead. You will learn how to deal with any type of challenge.
You will be on a video call (like Skype or Facetime) led by your Role Model and around 5 other children your age
You can wear comfortable clothes and have a drink nearby in case you need it
It will be a fun session of games, talking, watching some videos and thinking together with the group
We would love you tell us your ideas and feelings during the session, so talking and participating is definitely encouraged! But if there’s anything you don’t want to do, you can just sit and listen
We can’t wait to meet you and learn some awesome new skills together!”
Parents will need to tick to say that they agree to the following statements:
- I understand that I must be present in the room with my child during all Skylarks live online sessions
- I understand that my child/ren must be fully dressed during all Skylarks live online sessions
- I understand that I must not record, photograph or video any Skylarks live online sessions
- I understand that I must not share any Zoom passwords
- I will report any safeguarding issues to Skylarks staff or to the appropriate authorities
You will need to book this course in the usual way via the Skylarks website. Your place will then be confirmed back to you.
You will then be asked to complete a form on the Role Models website and to agree with their safeguarding policy. Please note: it is imperative that you complete the registration process with Role Models before your child starts the course.