We are pleased to offer another Online Life Skills Course in Leadership in partnership with Role Models for teenagers.
This course is for teenagers and young people with additional needs, aged 16 and above. The maximum age is 25, although it is expected that most of the participants will be aged 16 - 18 and the course will be targeted at 16 - 18 year olds with an age-appropriate cognition level.
This is a week long intensive course.
The course will take place during the October half term holidays – from Monday 25th October to Friday 29th October, every day from 10 am to 11am (5 days in total) by Zoom.
The course is most suitable for children with high functioning autism or other disabilities who are able to engage with a trainer online. They will need to be able to use a laptop (under supervision if necessary) and to be willing to take part in a range of activities.
All courses are taking place at home using Zoom
She is supervised by Louise, the SEND and safeguarding lead at Role Models. All sessions are recorded for safeguarding purposes and then deleted later.
It is strongly encouraged that young people should attend all sessions.
The course is made up of 5 x 60 minute online sessions.
The course is free of charge but donations are welcomed.
There are places for 6 young people on each course.
Focusing on leadership skills and emotional intelligence, this course encourages students aged 16-18 to consider the concept of ‘everyday leadership’ and how they can have a positive impact on those around them
Support, encourage and motivate
Leadership is being able to support, encourage and motivate others to achieve a shared goal. It is also about having a positive impact on those around us. To work well with others, we must first learn to identify and understand our own emotions, strengths and weaknesses. This self-awareness allows us to make the best contribution and recognise the feelings, needs and strengths of those we work with.
Our Online Leadership Course focuses on encouraging children to consider the concept of ‘everyday leadership’ and how they can have a positive impact on those around them. It is made up of 5 online sessions lasting for 60 minutes.
Each online Life Skills Course includes access to additional exciting activities for your child to do independently at any point during their day/week. Each of these is designed to be a fun distraction from what is going on around them. These activity sheets will be emailed to you along with a summary of the content shared during the online session each day.
Explore the impact you have on others
The course is designed to develop an awareness of what great leadership looks like and why. The sessions include fun activities which encourage the children to explore different ways of working together. They will be encouraged to reflect on the power of connection, listening and developing trust and respect amongst the people you lead.
Other notes on the online course:
- Your young person will need a quiet space for the sessions and a computer/laptop/ipad with internet connection so that they can use Zoom
- The sessions will be interactive so they will need to be seen (using the computer camera/webcam) and heard (using the computer microphone or headset)
- They will need a pen/pencil and paper during the sessions
- It’s important the teenagers are relaxed and comfortable; please do help them get set up for the first session and be on hand for any technical difficulties.
- Following that, we find these sessions work best when the young people are given the independence to complete them alone rather than having other people watching in the same room. However we ask parents to stay nearby and within earshot.
- The content of the sessions will include discussion, games, watching videos, and sharing thoughts and ideas with the group. The children will at times be encouraged to type using the keyboard and to answer verbally.
How should I explain this course to my young person?
“Do you ever have negative or unhelpful thoughts? You will find out how to deal with these and how to listen in to much more empowering thoughts instead. You will learn how to deal with any type of challenge.
You will be on a video call (like Skype or Facetime) led by your Role Model and around 5 other people of your age
You can wear comfortable clothes and have a drink nearby in case you need it
It will be a fun session of games, talking, watching some videos and thinking together with the group
We would love you tell us your ideas and feelings during the session, so talking and participating is definitely encouraged! But if there’s anything you don’t want to do, you can just sit and listen
We can’t wait to meet you and learn some awesome new skills together!”
Parents will need to tick to say that they agree to the following statements:
- I understand that I must be present in the room with my child if aged under 18 during all Skylarks live online sessions
- I understand that my child/ren must be fully dressed during all Skylarks live online sessions
- I understand that I must not record, photograph or video any Skylarks live online sessions
- I understand that I must not share any Zoom passwords
- I will report any safeguarding issues to Skylarks staff or to the appropriate authorities
You will need to book this course in the usual way via the Skylarks website. Your place will then be confirmed back to you.
You will then be asked to checkout on the Role Models website, using a coupon code so that you are not charged. This is so your details are entered onto their system and you can agree with their safeguarding policy. It is important that you do this at least 3 days before the course starts.
You are then invited to make a donation for this course. A place usually costs £125, but Skylarks will be paying this, but a donation towards the cost is appreciated.