We are pleased to offer an Online Life Skills Course in Resilience in partnership with Role Models. This course is for children with additional needs, either aged 8 - 11. It will take place on Wednesday afternoons from 23rd September to 21st October from 5pm to 6.30pm.
Please note that the final session takes place on Wednesday 21st October. This may be half term for some children but not for the majority, as Richmond schools will still be operating that week.
The course is most suitable for children with high functioning autism or other disabilities who are able to engage with a trainer online. They will need to be able to use a laptop (under supervision if necessary) and to be willing to take part in a range of activities.
All courses are taking place at home using Zoom
It is strongly encouraged that children should attend all sessions.
The course is made up of 5 x 90 minute online sessions.
The course is free of charge but donations are welcomed.
There are places for 6 children on each course.
The course will be delivered by a Role Model who has experience as a teacher, including with children with additional needs, but more importantly is a coach who specialises in encouraging and motivating children.
Focusing on resilience and a growth mindset, the Online Resilience Course covers how to face challenges, handle mistakes, deal with adversity and thrive in an ever changing world.
The course takes the theory behind developing resilience and helps children work out how they can apply this to their everyday lives.
The course aims to help develop a child’s attitude and improve the way they learn. Taking risks, dealing with setbacks, and pushing themselves to achieve more are all outcomes which can positively impact their life.
Helping your child to develop their resilience is one of the most effective ways to help them thrive at school, home and beyond. By developing a growth mindset, children can learn to push themselves outside of their comfort zone, embrace new experiences, challenges and persevere in areas that might not be their strengths. Understanding that intelligence and ability are not predetermined and that mistakes can help us learn can have a huge impact on the way a child approaches life.
The course also includes access to additional exciting activities for your child to do independently at any point during their day/week. Each of these is designed to be a fun distraction from what is going on around them. These activity sheets will be emailed to you along with a summary of the content shared during the online session each day.
Other notes on the online course:
- Your child will need a quiet space for the sessions and a computer/laptop/ipad with internet connection so that they can use Zoom
- The sessions will be interactive so they will need to be seen (using the computer camera/webcam) and heard (using the computer microphone or headset)
- They will need a pen/pencil and paper during the sessions
- It’s important the children are relaxed and comfortable; please do help them get set up for the first session and be on hand for any technical difficulties.
- Following that, we find these sessions work best when the children are given the independence to complete them alone rather than having other people watching in the same room. However we ask parents to stay nearby and within earshot.
- The content of the sessions will include discussion, games, watching videos, and sharing thoughts and ideas with the group. The children will at times be encouraged to type using the keyboard and to answer verbally.
How should I explain this course to my child?
“Do you ever have negative or unhelpful thoughts? You will find out how to deal with these and how to listen in to much more empowering thoughts instead. You will learn how to deal with any type of challenge.
You will be on a video call (like Skype or Facetime) led by your Role Model and around 5 other children your age
You can wear comfortable clothes and have a drink nearby in case you need it
It will be a fun session of games, talking, watching some videos and thinking together with the group
We would love you tell us your ideas and feelings during the session, so talking and participating is definitely encouraged! But if there’s anything you don’t want to do, you can just sit and listen
We can’t wait to meet you and learn some awesome new skills together!”
Parents will need to tick to say that they agree to the following statements:
- I understand that I must be present in the room with my child during all Skylarks live online sessions
- I understand that my child/ren must be fully dressed during all Skylarks live online sessions
- I understand that I must not record, photograph or video any Skylarks live online sessions
- I understand that I must not share any Zoom passwords
- I will report any safeguarding issues to Skylarks staff or to the appropriate authorities
You will need to book this course in the usual way via the Skylarks website. Your place will then be confirmed back to you.
You will then be asked to complete a form on the Role Models website and to agree with their safeguarding policy.